This course is about the misuse and abuse of substances such as drugs and alcohol that are used to change a person’s state of body or mind, for reasons other than a medical need. Substance misuse often leads to addiction, which can be defined as the continuing and compulsive misuse of substances despite physical and/or psychological harm to the user, family or society and includes both legal and illegal substances.
The term ‘substance abuse’ is now often used because of the broad range of substances (including alcohol and inhalants) that are addictive. This course explores Psychological dependence and Physical dependence.
- Improve your career prospects.
- Learn valuable knowledge, skills, advice and guidance to help you achieve success.
- Study online from anywhere.
- Study at your own pace.
- Download and print your industry recognised certificate on successful completion.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into bite-sized modules. You’re free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each section, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers and most tablet devices etc. so you can even study while on the move! As long as you have access to the internet, you should be able to study anywhere that’s convenient.
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all the modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken at a time and location of your choosing.
What if I don’t pass the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time then you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the entire program is likely to take around 2-4 hours to work through initially, but you may want to allow more time to repeat some areas. You should allow an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
- Causes and Types of Substance Misuse
- Explain the major social, personal and medical factors that can lead to substance misuse
- Discus the patterns of misuse that often occur, the types of dependence that substance misuse can lead to and the stages of substance misuse that lead to addiction
- Describe the range of substances commonly misused and their effects
- Signs and Effects of Substance Misuse
- Explain the physical, behavioural and psychological signs of substance misuse
- Describe the effects of substance misuse on health
- Treatment, Rehabilitation and Legal Issues
- Explain the principles behind the range of treatments used with individuals who misuse substances
- Identify the range of treatments, the purpose of rehabilitation and tips for helping individuals remain drug-free
- Explain the main legislation relating to substance misuse including the National Harm Reduction Strategy