- 2-3 Study Hours
- Online Study
- Self-Printed Certificate
- 2-3 CPD Hours
- CPD Certified
This course provides advanced knowledge about asbestos awareness for people working with and around asbestos. It considers the risks, highlights the dangers and identifies key signs to look out for.
This asbestos awareness course provides advanced knowledge about asbestos awareness for people working with and around asbestos. There is an overview of what asbestos is, the history of asbestos use, the risks of exposure to asbestos, and the key legislation around the topic.
Asbestos Awareness provides advanced knowledge about asbestos awareness for people working with and around asbestos. There is an overview of what asbestos is, the history of asbestos use, the risks of exposure to asbestos, and the key legislation around the topic.
What is asbestos?
The word ‘asbestos’ actually refers to a group of six naturally occurring minerals, obtained through mining. These minerals are all fairly similar, being very fibrous and quite unlike other minerals found in the ground. Its appearance is generally similar to loft insulation, and other fuzzy materials, though it can be compressed into boards as we’ll discuss in the next section. Read our article on the importance of Asbestos Awareness here.
Who should take this course and why?
This asbestos awareness training is aimed at anyone working in a role that may see them involved with asbestos. Some of these job roles include joiners, roofers, architects, plumbers, caretakers, painters/decorators and people working in construction.
This list is not exhaustive and there may be other professionals working with asbestos who may benefit from the information contained in the course.
What does this asbestos training course cover?
This asbestos awarenss course covers important health and safety information to keep those working with the material safe. This includes modules on the following:
- An introduction to asbestos awareness
- A history of asbestos and its early uses
- What is asbestos?
- Exposure to asbestos: the risks and adverse effects on health
- Typical uses of asbestos and ACMs (Asbestos Containing Materials)
- Legislation relating to asbestos
- Basic safety and emergency procedures if ACMs are disturbed
By taking this training course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the properties of asbestos in terms of the risks to and effects on health caused by exposure to asbestos and the increased risk to those who smoke
- Outline the types of asbestos and explain where asbestos and asbestos-containing materials (ACMs) can be typically found within buildings and in plant/equipment
- Describe the main reasons for the use of asbestos insulation, asbestos insulating board, asbestos cement and other ACMs
- Describe the risks of fibre release from ACMs
- Demonstrate an awareness of how you would find information about the presence of asbestos before starting work
- State the procedures to follow if unintentional contact is made with ACMs and describe appropriate emergency procedures
- Outline legislation relating to asbestos, particularly with reference to regulations 4 and 5 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations (CAR)
Asbestos Awareness Online Course Certificate
The end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test three times at no extra cost. If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital asbestos awareness certificate on completion. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.
This asbestos awareness training online course is accredited by CPD and the certificate, awarded upon successful completion, can be used the log your hours against.
The training will take approximately two to three hours to complete. As an e-learning course you can complete this training in convenient stages. The system will record your progress throughout.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
You will learn
- Advanced asbestos awareness knowledge
- What asbestos is
- The history of asbestos use
- The risks of exposure to asbestos
- Key asbestos legislation
Who is it for?
- Those working in construction