This training pack is suitable for anyone who handles or prepares food or is involved in the management of such people in a catering environment. This includes hotels, restaurants, takeaways, cafes, bars, fast food outlets.
It is recommended that all food premises should have at least one person trained to Level 3 in food hygiene and safety – particularly if they are in charge of other staff and are responsible for the training of those staff.
Food safety and Hygiene level 1
- Understand the importance of keeping yourself clean and hygienic
- Understand the importance of keeping the work areas clean and hygienic
- Understand how individuals can take personal responsibility for food safety
- Understand the importance of keeping food safe
Food Safety and Hygiene Level 2
- Understand common food hygiene terminology
- Understand the impact of foodborne illness
- Know about food law and legislation
- Know how contamination can be prevented and controlled
- Understand food storage and preservation
- Know the importance of personal hygiene
- Understand how to keep premises and equipment clean
- Understand HACCP principles
Food safety and Hygiene Level 3
- Understand their role in the supervision of food handlers when it comes to food safety and hygiene
- Be able to define food safety hazards, hygiene risks and understand how they may be prevented and controlled
- Recognise the importance of thorough preparation and cooking of food to eliminate dangerous viruses and bacteria
- Understand how to prevent foodborne illness, and the impact of this from a personal and a legal responsibility
- Know how to develop and maintain an effective HACCP system
All of the courses are accredited by CPD. The certificates, awarded upon successful completion, can be used to log your hours against.
Individually, the courses usually take between 2-3 hours to complete, depending on the speed of learning. Learners do not have to complete all the training in one session as progress is recorded throughout and the training can be paused and resumed in our learning management system at any time.
This training pack is aimed at anyone working in a role in a food environment such as a restaurant, café, guest house or school. It is ideal if you have to train people at different levels, for example, a chef and a supervisor.
Please Note: Level 1 is an introductory course which is not suitable for food handlers. In order to meet legal requirements it is necessary for food handlers to complete the Level 2 (previously known as Basic) Food Safety and Hygiene Course.
There are no entry requirements for this course.
Test and certificate
Each end of course test consists of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and, if necessary, may attempt the test six times at no extra cost.
If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion of each course. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records.