Understanding how hazards can occur in food retail businesses and what problems they can create, how to make an effective HACCP plan and keep your site in good condition are just come of the factors needed to uphold satisfactory health and safety standards as a supervisor in manufacturing.
This Level 3 Food Hygiene online course is suitable for anyone who works in the food retail environment and is involved in the management or supervision of food handlers or catering staff, including anyone involved in food preparation. It satisfies a food handler’s legal obligation to undertake appropriate food safety training, as well as building on the safety principles explained in the Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene course.
This Level 3 Food Safety Course is aimed at any business striving to achieve a 5* rating under the national hygiene rating system. Boost knowledge, confidence and understanding and receive a high quality certificate, accredited by City and Guilds, to demonstrate training has taken place. Some of the areas covered by this course include:
- How food law applies to your premises
- What a supervisor does in catering
- Why a HACCP plan is important
- Implementing internal food safety measures
The material is provided in an interactive format that is designed to be engaging and accessible. A basic knowledge of food hygiene will mean learners progress quickly, but the course is designed for anyone working in the service or hospitality sectors and should be suitable for any staff member to give them the knowledge needed to work effectively and safely.
Who should take this course and why?
As a business owner or supervisor, you have a duty to comply with the provisions of Regulation (EC) 852/2004 of the European Parliament on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs, the Food Safety Act 1990, and the Food Hygiene Regulations 2005.
Level 3 Food Hygiene training is suitable for those who work, train or supervise others in food handling in a retail environment after completing the Level 2 Food Hygiene and Safety course, including but not limited to, supermarkets, butchers, bakeries, market stalls, fish mongers, grocery/convenience stores, confectionery shop, farm shops and delicatessens.
Training is required for anyone who works in an environment where food is prepared or handled such as bakeries, restaurants, bars, fish & chip shops, food trucks, butchers, schools, fast food outlets, takeaways, colleges, hospitals, hotels, B&B’s, cruises, holiday parks, hostels, guest houses and anywhere else food is being handled.
What does this course cover?
To help develop an in-depth knowledge of food safety and hygiene, this course provides interactive content which is split into the following chapters:
- Food Safety Hazards and Contamination
- Food Borne Illnesses
- Understanding Food Law
- The Role of the Supervisor
- Food Safety Management (HACCP)
- Food Preservation
- Food Storage and Temperature Control
- Personal Hygiene
- Workplace Equipment and Design
- Cleaning and Disinfection
- Pest Control
By the end of the course learners will:
- Understand their role in the supervision of food handlers when it comes to food safety and hygiene
- Be able to define food safety hazards, hygiene risks and understand how they may be prevented and controlled
- Recognise the importance of thorough preparation and cooking of food to eliminate dangerous viruses and bacteria
- Understand how to prevent foodborne illness, and the impact of this from a personal and a legal responsibility
- Know how to develop and maintain an effective HACCP system
- Know how to preserve food safely and hygienically
- Understand how to keep premises and equipment clean
- Know how to control contamination through safe temperatures and storage
- Know how to ensure that staff keep a good standard of personal hygiene
- Understand how to keep the workplace hygienic and safe for food preparation, cooking and storage
Level 3 Food Safety and Hygiene For Supervisors in Retail Certificate
At the end of this course, you will need to complete a test that consists of 30 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve a 75% pass mark, and – if necessary – may attempt the test three times at no extra cost. If learners do not achieve the 75% pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our support team.
Upon completing the course, learners will be able to download a digital food hygiene certificate accredited by City & Guilds from Virtual College. If you have bought the posted certificate option, a high quality, seal embossed, certificate will be sent out on the next working day. This certification is universally recognised and can be used to provide evidence of food hygiene and safety training both internally and to external auditors. There is no set time for how long a certificate is valid for, but the accepted industry standard is for food hygiene certificates to be renewed every three years. However, some employers may require you to renew your certification more frequently than this.