Who should take this course and why?
This training is aimed primarily at businesses who want to train their staff in manual handling and provide them a basic understanding of first aid principles. The course provides a general overview of how to stay safe when manual handling, as well as how to act effectively in the event of an incident requiring first aid assistance.
Please note that the first aid training will not make your staff qualified first aiders. In order for someone to become a qualified first aider, further training that includes at least 18 training and assessment contact hours is required. More information on the legal duties of an employer can be found at hse.gov.uk
What does this course cover?
This course covers both the essentials of manual handling and first aid, split over two separate courses. After taking the Manual Handling in the Workplace course, learners will:
- Understand why manual handling procedures can be dangerous and why it is important to keep safe in the workplace
- Understand their employer’s legal obligation to ensure employees are aware of health and safety requirements
- Have an understanding of the bone structure in the human spine
- Be able to move and handle objects safely
After taking the First Aid Primary Survey course, learners will:
- Know what to do if you are first on the scene of an accident
- Be able to assess the situation as a potential danger zone
- Understand what is meant by AVPU
- Understand Danger, Response, Airways, Breathing and Circulation
- Understand the importance of the recovery position and how to apply it
Manual Handling and First Aid Training Pack Certificate
The end of both of these courses consists of a test of 15 multiple choice questions. Learners are required to achieve an 75% pass mark for the First Aid training and 85% for the manual handling training. Learners may attempt the tests three times each at no extra cost, having revisited the training material.
If learners do not immediately achieve the pass mark, further attempts may be given by contacting our Learner Support team. Learners can download and print digital certificates immediately upon completion.
Learners will be able to download a digital certificate on completion of each course. This can be printed, and we suggest you keep it for your records. The content of this training has been independently certified as conforming to universally accepted Continuous Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.