Overview – Prevention of underage sales
The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) and Virtual College have joined together to create a range of online training resources which are highly relevant to all businesses, including ‘Prevention of under age sales.’
In the UK certain products have age based sales restriction mandated in law.
Enforcement is active: Police and Trading Standards officers are permitted to send children into retailers to attempt to buy restricted products.
The potential penalties are large, both for the individual and the retailer. If caught selling an age restricted product, the retailer will be required to demonstrate due diligence, this includes evidence of effective staff training and that the staff have understood the training.
This course aims to help protect organisations and employees from:
- Bad PR
- Loss of business
Most people have some difficulties in accurately judging the age of a person. Whether or not someone appears to be over a certain age is subjective and depends on the individual making the decision. This leaves brands and individuals vulnerable.
On completion of this module, learners will understand:
- Why age restrictions exist, what the legal requirements are and who is responsible for upholding these requirements
- What goods are covered by age restrictions and where they are sold
- How to approach the sale and what forms of identification are acceptable
- How to refuse a sale
The course will be split into the following sections and will provide contextual advice generated from a wide variety of scenarios:
- Section 1 – Introduction to Age Restricted Goods
- Section 2 – What good are covered and where are they sold?
- Section 3 – How to Approach the Sale
- Section 4 – How to Refuse a Sale
On completion of this course you will be able to download a Virtual College certificate.
Approximately 1 hour. The length of time taken depends entirely on how quickly you can study and absorb the material. You can proceed as quickly or slowly as you like.
All retail and hospitality outlets that sell age restricted products.
There are no specific entry requirements for this course.